Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ski Racing Probs

Hey minions!! I don't know why I called you that...maybe I've been watching too much Gossip Girl if that makes sense. :) Very good T.V. show, and I highly recommend it!

Soooo break was last week! And school is this week. :( But break was really fun! I couldn't ski for most of the week (knee injury), but I enjoyed hanging out with friends and watching Netflix and How I Met Your Mother (another great show)!

So today's post is about my winter sport. If you don't know what this is, shame on you. It's this:

By Sugar Bowl



Yep, you guessed it! Ski-racing!! As fun as it is, it can also be hard to keep up with that and school. And lets not even mention my non-existent social life during the winter. So without further ado, I present to you....

Ski Racing Probs.

1. Making People Mad
Ok, if you turn right in front of us when we are free-skiing, we will do our best to dodge you. But there is no guarantee that you won't be bowled over, cut off, yelled at, or stabbed with a pole. I've gotten good at predicting what other people will do and I try to give them space, but some people are just unpredictable.

2. Missing School
During the race season, we miss a ton of school. And not only does it take a while to make up everything you miss, but in the meantime all the teachers like to give you zeros until you turn stuff in. So you get back from your race, and yay, you have a 2.0 GPA!

So true! (by Quick Meme)

3. Summer School
In order to be on my team, I have to get early release. Which means I have to take classes OVER THE SUMMER. Aren't I lucky.

Uhhh no (by Dublin City Schools)
4. Boots
No, I don't want to hear about how comfy your boots are. Because mine are two sizes too small!

Here's my boot :) They are really cold :) (by HEAD)
5. Skis
The skis themselves are usually fine, but tuning them isn't too fun. Not only does it take a long time, but my hands are now covered in cuts and scars from my edges.

6. Poles
Random Skier: "Did you sit on your poles the wrong way or something? They are all bent."
Me: *Puts hand to face*

7. Speed Suits
Random Skier: "Why are you wearing tights? Are you some sort of ski ballerina?"
Me: "THEY AREN'T TIGHTS THEY ARE FOR RACING! GET IT RIGHT!!"

Does this look like tights? It's NOT!! (by GearJunkie)

8. Speed Suits (continued)
Random Skier: "Are they warm?"
Me: "Really? What do you think? Of course not!"

9. Morning Training
While you get to sleep in on the weekends, I sometimes have to get up at 5:45 to train. Not only am I half asleep most of the time, I'm freezing because we have to go full-strip (taking off coat and pants to only the speed suit remains).

10. No Social Life
I ski all weekend and all week (except Mondays). That means all my free time is spent doing homework. So I never get to hang out with friends.

11. Falling
Imagine making a mistake and starting to fall. Picture yourself falling and tumbling right toward the panel (gate)...it's getting closer and you know that you are going to hit it and it's going to hurt a lot...you are still falling...then you hit the panel. And then there is the issue of stopping yourself as you slide down the hill on your stomach or back with no skis...

This is my favorite picture ever :) (by Pinterest)

12. Falling for Stupid Reasons
Sometimes I just fall for the weirdest reasons. Last year, my powder ski dims were on super low, so I just kept double ejecting on steep runs and running into trees and stuff.

This picture made me laugh SO HARD!! (by Semi-Pro)

So those are some ski-racing experiences that I constantly encounter! I'm sorry I had to put a #11 and 12, for all you OCD people that like things to be in fives and tens. It's bugging me a lot too. So let me hurry up and finish this post before it delete them. Anyway, besides all the ski-racing probs I have, I still love the sport! There is nothing quite like the feeling you get when you carve through a perfectly groomed run.

Random Fact of the Day: In space, astronauts can't cry, because there is no gravity so tears can't flow.
What day is it?? Today is Chili Day :)

So that's it!! Bye and hope you have a fun weekend and DON'T ASK ME IF I'M WEARING TIGHTS!!

1 comment:

  1. Haha I love number 6 and the pictures for 11 and 12! Oh, by the way, my boots are really comfy... ;)

    ReplyDelete