Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sun Valley Ongoings

Ciao!! Italian. Anyone had any pasta lately? That was probably Italian, too. But I digress. Back to my blog!!

So last time I think I promised you that I would tell you about my weekend. Or maybe I didn't. Whatever. Anyway, I was in Sun Valley for a ski race. A lot of things happened over the weekend, and I'm going to tell you about them.

And yes, of course this is a list. If you don't like lists, maybe consider cancelling this page and never visiting this blog again. Seriously. I love lists and will continue to use them.

So, without further delay, here ya go:



1. DNF. Every. Single. Day.
BTW, DNF=did not finish in ski-racing language. At our race this weekend the events were two slaloms and one giant slalom. But really we only had one slalom, but I'll get to that. My first run on Friday went really well, actually (haaaaa you guys were in school while I was skiing :p). But second run, I hit the tip of my ski on the gate and fell, losing both skis. And when I fell, my stomach hit the gate, winding me so that I couldn't breath for like five minutes. Then on Sunday, I had an okay first run, but on second run my ski just came off, I did the splits, then my other one came off and I fell. So yeah, I didn't finish a single race last weekend.

Bad quality-sorry-but me in the process of falling.

2. The Cookies
 In case you didn't already know this, Sun Valley is run by the same company as Snowbasin. AKA the food is delish. In the lodge on our side of the mountain, the chef-people would make cookies all day, ringing a bell as soon as they were out of the oven. As you can imagine, kids came rushing from all directions to each grab a steaming, gooey chocolate-chip cookie. And they were amazing cookies, probably one of the best you'll ever have. If you are ever in Sun Valley, please get one. Then bring it to me so I can eat it. :)

By Wikipedia (Hey there's a page on cookies!! I just read it cause I'm a nerd...)

3. The Free-Ski Day
We didn't ski-race on Saturday, which I will get to later. Instead we got to rip down the steep groomers on the other side of the mountain. For all you powder-hounds out there, if you know how to carve, making great carving turns is almost the equivalent of skiing deep pow. There were no people on the hill for the first couple runs, so we got to rip down the mountain at high-speeds. And Sun Valley has a lot of cat-tracks running through the middle of the runs, so you would be going super fast, then you would hit a jump and go flying, landing softly a second or two later. It was awesome.

We probably looked kinda like this, except not old and not as good (by Ski and Snowboard)

4. Netflix
Yes it would be tragic if I failed to mention that Netflix took up a small portion of my free-time. I would get back extremely tired, change clothes, then settle down with my iPad and box of cereal. What about homework, you ask? I did a lot of it on the ride there. But honestly, our free-time consisted of resting, tuning skis, and eating dinner. Homework is not along the lines of 'resting.'

HA so true!! By Funny as Duck

5. The Fake Fire
One night, when we were getting ready for bed, the alarm in the room next to us went off. The girls in it (they were on our team) burst into our room, panicked. Of course, the room was not on fire. The alarm just went off for no reason, and the front-desk-people couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Then the firetruck came. Bulky firemen in big yellow suits charged up the stairs to the room. They, of course, found nothing, although they said the alarm was potentially set off by a burning bagel (the location of which is still unknown). But really, firemen? I knew my hair was a mess, but I didn't know it was so bad you had to call a firetruck for me to fix it (if you just got my horrible sense of humor, kudos to you).

And they arrived like this (in my dreams!). By Wikia

6. The Real Fire
I'm not joking. There was a real fire. At the ski resort the same night as the fake fire, the top of one of the chairlifts on our side of the mountain caught fire, the part where those guys sit in and wave at you when you get off the chairlift. So that caught fire, which overheated the cable supporting the chairlifts, causing it to snap in two and all the chairlifts to fall down. It also damaged some snow-making equipment, which believe me Sun Valley needs badly this year. The good news is that the chairlift was rarely used. The bad news is that they cancelled our ski race. Yay. But hey, I got to sleep in more!!! :D

The Lift-from my phone


So that's basically what happened at Sun Valley this weekend. True story.

Random Fact of the Day: My dog is wearing a diaper. Why? She had a tumor on her butt, surgically got it removed (by me), and had a diaper put over the wound to catch the blood (actually no I didn't do the surgery-that would have been bad-but I got to put on the diaper!! :p).

If you would like to learn more about the fire (the article I used to help write this), click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment